If tofu is a four-letter word in your household, don’t let your family know that this easy Saturday lunch uses tofu instead of eggs. While tofu may never replace eggs in the minds and mouths of the carnivores in your home, you may want to try this sandwich to help them lower their cholesterol. (One of my all-time favorite scenes in “Mystery Men” is William G. Macy’s monologue before going into a battle from which he may never return as he makes the cholesterol-packed egg salad that his wife has forbidden him to eat.)
So, if egg salad has been a thing of the past in your house, give this quick and easy sandwich a try. I’ve used all of the ingredients that go into a traditional egg salad (and if you add a touch of the optional curry powder, it will even have that yellow glow to make it look more like the “real thing.”)
I used Naysoya Sprouted Tofuplus for this recipe. It’s made with organic, non-GMO soybeans, and the super firm variety gives it more of the “mouth feel” of hard boiled eggs. If you use a vegan Worcestershire and a vegan mayonnaise, this delightful sandwich spread can also work for vegans! Vegenaise and Earth Balance Mindful Mayo are two good commercial brands you might want to try. And if you use gluten free bread for your toast, it can be gluten free, too!
- 6 slices whole grain bread (we love pumpernickel or rye for this sandwich)
- 6 oz. firm or extra-firm tofu, drained (half of a 12 oz. pkg)
- 4-6 scallions, minced
- 1 or 2 stalks celery, minced
- 3 T. Mayonnaise (or vegan Mayonnaise)
- 1½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 T sweet pickle relish
- ½ tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- celery seeds
- dill weed
- curry powder (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Baby arugula
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Toast your bread.
- Put the drained tofu is a small mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter, chop it up into small, chunky pieces.
- Add the scallions, celery, mayo, mustard, pickle relish, optional Worcestershire sauce, celery seeds, dill weed, optional curry powder, and freshly ground pepper. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a bit more of this or that to taste.
- Spread it on your toasted bread and add the baby arugula and grape tomatoes. Enjoy a guiltless almost egg salad sandwich!