By Nancy Olah
Move over, Tofurky and Field Roast . . . Beyond Sausage is here!
I’ve never tasted a vegan sausage that tasted so much like meat – before now.
My carnivore hubby, ever eager to please, brought me Beyond Sausage Brats home from Sprouts – and we couldn’t wait to them them out in some of my recipes.
Beyond Sausage Brats are free of both soy and gluten and each sausage contains 16 grams of protein. The protein comes from pea protein isolate – like all of the other Beyond Meat products. And while I am a bit tepid about Beyond Meat’s chicken products and like their ground beef and burgers, I positively love their new sausages.
For one thing, they actually look more meat-like than any other other plant-based sausage on the market. They actually seem to exude a bit of fat when you fry them and they have a mouth feel (according to my hubby) that is very, very similar to a bratwurst made with pork.
They also have a casing – which contributes to the realistic meat-like look. And get this . . . the casing is edible – unlike the Field Roast sausages that have a casing that has to be removed before cooking.
I hadn’t made my East Skillet Bratwurst Dinner in several years, so I grabbed my well-worn copy of Fool a Carnivore, and re-tooled the recipe a bit to make it vegan. I re-vamped the order of the recipe and sautéed my Beyond Sausage Brats first in a bit of olive oil so that I could brown the slices without overcooking them. Since they actually seemed to exude a bit of fat – just like a real sausage – I added another smidge of olive oil and sautéed my onion in the skillet that had first held the brats. My Yukon Gold potatoes came next, followed by diced red pepper.
I eliminated both the butter and the cheeses from the recipe and served the brats with an improvised side dish of sautéed shredded cabbage, enlivened with garlic, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and some crumbled veggie bacon strips.
Simple and hearty fare for a chilly evening – in thirty minutes!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 14-ounce package Beyond Sausage Brats, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes (fist-sized), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ -1 teaspoon dried caraway seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large non-stick skillet and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sauté the slices of Meat Sausage Brats for about 5-6 minutes over high heat. Turn them frequently so that the sausage slices brown. Remove to a separate plate.
- Into the now empty skillet, add the other tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onion for 5-6 minutes over medium heat until translucent. Prep your other veggies while the onion is cooking.
- Add the chopped potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Then add the wine and stock. Stir well, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the dill, caraway seeds, reserved sausages, salt and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until the sausages are heated through and all the flavors have blended.
All Rights Reserved.