I’ve recently discovered the Gardein™ Lightly Seasoned Chick’n Scallopini in the freezer section of my local supermarket.
They are low in calories (90 per 2.5 oz. cutlet) and each cutlet has 14 grams of protein.
I use finely chopped Baby Vidalia onions(they look like scallions on steroids), which are easy to find in the farmer’s markets in early spring here in the south.
If you can’t find them, I suggest substituting 4-5 shallots, finely minced. The flavor will be a bit different, but the dish will still be very good.
This is a very simple dish to make and can be on the table in less than 15 minutes.
We enjoyed it with garlic mashed potatoes, steamed snow peas, and a light Pinot Grigio.
- 10 oz. package of Gardein™ Lightly Seasoned Chick'n Scallopini
- 3-4 tablespoons of white flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small Baby Vidalia onions, finely chopped or 4-5 shallots, finely minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 3-4 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1. Keep the Gardein™ Lightly Seasoned Chick'n
- Keep the Gardein™ Lightly Seasoned Chick'n Scallopini frozen until you're ready to cook them. Put the flour in a shallow bowl, and season it with a little sea salt and pepper. Dredge the frozen cutlets in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the Chick'n Scallopini for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside on a plate while you make the sauce.
- Sauté the onions (or shallots) in the olive oil for 5-6 minutes. When translucent, add the
- white wine to deglaze the pan and cook over low heat until the volume is reduced by half.
- Turn the heat very low. Add the capers, lemon zest, lemon juice and butter. Whisk or
- stir the sauce to make sure that everything is well incorporated. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasonings. Return the scallopini back to the pan to lightly reheat and
- coat them on both sides with the sauce. Garnish with the fresh chopped parsley.