The peak season for both watermelon and cherry tomatoes is approaching its end. Since I love the beautiful array of colors in the gorgeous artisan cherry tomatoes I’ve written about before, I decided to throw caution to the wind and combine these two unlikely ingredients!
While I’ve previously shared my recipe for Refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad, I decided that my lovely green, yellow, orange, and tiger striped cherry tomatoes would be a lovely addition to a new version of one of our favorite summer salads.
This version was much quicker to make because I simplified the dressing and eliminated the thinly sliced red onion that had to be soaked in ice water for 30 minutes. A combination of minced herbs (mint, chives, and basil) replaced the one note flavor of mint from my previous recipe. I also thought that the milder flavor and creamy texture of the Fishing Creek Creamery Feta provided a perfect balance to the sweetness of the watermelon and the acidity of the cherry tomatoes. And, although you could easily serve this salad over greens as a first course, you can eliminate the greens and serve it after your main course – it will be almost as satisfying as dessert!
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe for my latest refreshing summer salad.
Watermelon and cherry tomato season both have only a month or so to go – please don’t wait ’til next year to try this delicious recipe!
- 4 cups watermelon balls, scooped with the larger end of a melon baller
- 2-3 cups green, yellow, and orange cherry tomatoes, cut pole to pole
- 1 Kirby cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces feta, cut into small pieces
- 3-4 tablespoons finely minced fresh herbs (use a mixture of mint, chives, and basil)
- Arugula, spinach, or spring mix (optional)
- Combine the watermelon, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber in a pretty glass bowl. (Don't make it too far ahead - if you do, be sure to drain the juice from the watermelon that will accumulate in the bottom of the bowl.)
- Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, and half of the minced herbs, and gently toss it with the salad.
- Add the feta and additional minced herbs. Toss gently and serve immediately.